Closeup of the board I used to make the seat planks with. Straight, tight grain, no cracks (a minor miracle), plenty wide, and just thick enough to resaw into two planks. Yes!
Resawn, bookmatched planks. Luckily, this board didn't crack on me. (Unlike one of the other boards I picked up on the same trip. It was small enough that I could fit it inside the car, as opposed to the roof rack. Anyway, on the way home from Louisiana, I kept hearing a faint clicking noise. I thought it was the engine, or maybe I had picked up a branch or something. I pulled over and cut the engine. I could still hear the clicking. I put my ear to the board. There it was. The board was cracking up on me. This was no longer a nice little drive through lovely East Texas. This was a race against time. Please Jetta don't die on me.)
Seat planks, ripped down their length at a slight angle. When the two halves are clamped back together, they will form a very slight "V." (Thus bringing them closer to the final curve of the seat.)
Planing one edge of one of the "staves." Although the angle was cut on the tablesaw, planing off the sawmarks will ensure (hopefully) an invisible glueline.
Two halves of a plank, ready to be joined.
Gluing up one of the planks. Because the two pieces come together at an angle, the boards naturally want to spring open as they are clamped together. Therefore, extra clamps are needed to apply downward force on the joint.
The two seat planks, glued and ready for shaping.
Shaping the bottom of the seat into a smooth curve.
Checking the fit of the seat planks against the curve of the seat supports. (Or at least against the mockups of the seat supports.)